COVID-19 Virus Testing
Priority for testing
Due to an unprecedented demand for testing, tests may run out prior to your scheduled appointment date. Our priority for testing is as follows:
1st: Anyone SYMPTOMATIC with a known POSITIVE CONTACT.
2nd: SYMPTOMATIC individuals
3rd: ASYMPTOMATIC individuals with a known POSITIVE COVID 19 CONTACT
4th: Anyone who suspects they may have been exposed to COVID 19.
5th: Those requesting tests for documentation purposes including travel.
Money will be refunded in full if we run out of tests before your appointment date. We apologize for any inconvenience.
NC State recommendations on who should be tested for COVID-19:
- Anyone with symptoms suggestive of COVID-19
- Symptomatic and asymptomatic close contacts of known positive cases (the ideal time for asymptomatic close contacts to get tested is 5-7 days after last exposure to the case)
- Symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals in the following populations who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19:
- People who live in or have regular contact with high-risk settings (e.g., long term care facilities, homeless shelter, correctional facility, migrant farmworker camp)
- Historically marginalized populations (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color)
- Frontline and essential workers in settings where social distancing is difficult (e.g., those who work in restaurants, grocery stores, child care facilities, construction sites, processing plants, etc.)
- Healthcare workers or first responders (e.g., EMS, law enforcement, fire department, military)
- People who are at high risk of severe illness (e.g., people over the age of 65 and people of any age with underlying health conditions)
- People who attended protests, rallies, or other mass gatherings where social distancing was difficult to maintain
COVID-19 Testing through Ashewell Medical Group
Ashewell Medical Group is pleased to offer COVID 19 testing to the general public (AGES 14+). We have two different PCR tests available:
- Abbott ID NOW RAPID PCR. This is a nasal swab that provides results in 15 minutes. Availability is limited and these tests will be utilized at the physician’s discretion based on the testing priority criteria listed above.
- COVID-19 (SAR Co-V-2) PCR. This is a nasal swab that provides results in 24-48 hours. Genova Diagnostics introduced this RT-PCR Swab COVID-19 test under FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA).
The rapid tests will be prioritized for symptomatic, high risk patients, healthcare workers, frontline workers, critical infrastructure workers and caregivers of high risk individuals. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
COSTS OF TEST:
- COVID 19 PCR: $129
- RAPID FLU TEST: $59
- COVID 19 and FLU TEST: $179
About ABBOTT Testing:
“The Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 test is an automated, molecular point-of-care test that is used to diagnose coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) within minutes, allowing healthcare professionals to make clinical decisions during a patient visit.”
About the Genova Diagnostic Test:
“The Genova Diagnostics test is a multiplex real-time RT-PCR test intended for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2. This is one of the most comprehensive tests to gain EUA status targeting three genes (ORF1ab, N gene and S gene).”
- An individual who has a close contact/ known exposure (has been within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer of someone known to have COVID-19 within a 24 hour period) and tests negative must still complete a 14-day quarantine.
- State and CDC guidelines for isolation should be followed until results of confirmatory testing can guide return to work, school and activities outside your home.
- Due to demand and limited supplies, Ashewell may not have rapid tests available until another shipment is received.
- Statewide North Carolina COVID-19 Triage Plus Line: 877-490-6642 (7 a.m.-11 p.m. all week)
- For Buncombe County and Asheville-specific questions about COVID-19 concerns (including the Stay Home, Stay Safe Declaration), call the Ready Team at 828-419-0095 or email email@example.com.
- Buncombe County Health Department Symptom Checker
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water, and for at least 20 seconds each time.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Do not reuse tissue after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched.
- Practice social distancing (6 feet separation between people)
- Wear a cloth face cover in public places
PLEASE NOTE: enrollment is for the PUBLIC only (NON ASHEWELL PATIENTS) – ALL CURRENTLY ENROLLED Ashewell patients should email or text the office (828-477-4077) to schedule testing.
Before your Appointment
When you arrive at the testing area please park on the same side of the street as the office.
Please stay in your car and sit in the passenger side. Please text 828-761-6480 with the following info to let us know you have arrived: Name, DOB, Car make and model.
We will come out to the car to test you ASAP. Tests will be given on a first come first serve basis. Due to unprecedented demand, there may be delays in your testing time.
We appreciate your patience and understanding.